PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Highland Flying School in Administration?
Old 21st Mar 2009, 10:01
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factors

1. Rent on the new building will be 10-20 times more than it was in HAC.

2. The split from HAC was before xmas.

3. The local newspapers had a field day with the inspections.

Combine 2 and 3 and the trial flight bonanza of xmas gets royally screwed. Even in the old days you could pull in 30-50K in the space of 6 weeks which probably only 50% would actually take the trial flight. And the majority would take it towards the end of the year when they were just running out. But that would be covered by the cash coming in for the current xmas. So there will have been 10-20k worth of hours flown off with little cash in.

There are a raft of other reasons which it wouldn't be wise to air in public. Some of the things that have been reported to the authorities are quite serious if they are found to be true.

Personally I have mixed feelings over this, 6 months ago I wouldn't have been really to bothered. But looking back to 600 hours in ZA and LP, and 350 in YR and some of the students I taught there does bring back many fond memory's.
YR was the most difficult aircraft to land I have flown in my career.

The school gave many a pilot their first start both the instructors and the students. I can't think of any airport in the UK which is better placed for PPL instruction. Training area just out of the circuit, local micro climate which let you train when the rest of the UK was clamped. Local bombing range to go and play in. Scenery to die for. Trial flights down the great glen followed by a run down the Black isle, if you were lucky you could watch the RAF in the bombing circuit at Tain.

Those that have lost money and their jobs I have every sympathy with.

There is a very strong market for flying in the inverness area I am sure someone will step in to reap the rewards.