PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 20th Mar 2009, 23:56
skydriller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew nothing about the problems!!!

Im truly Amazed !!!..... If you all know this, why dont I (the guy told to wear it, check it, treat it carefully as it could save my life etc.) know about this?The Oil industry supposedly prides itself on effective safety proceedures & equipment.

What is the answer? A "clever" PLB by the sounds of it, just as you guys wear up front....

BTW, the PLB I regularly use going offshore isnt worn on the wrist (though I have seen this type), its on a harness or its an integral part of the lifejacket. Its about 3"x4" with a simple arm/disarm switch and activation button. Is this in effect identical to the "wristwatch PLB" you are talking about?

Also, at a tangent but related : I fly a light aircraft with an inbuilt fixed ELT, but as you can tell, I subscribe to the theory that I personally want to be saved should I have to ditch it, and so also carry a Mcmurdo PLB on me too. Will these two interfere also, or are the GA PLBs "clever"? As I alluded to in my first post, there is a GA debate over certain countries mandating 406 frequency fixed installed ELTs as opposed to GPS/406 PLBs. I dont think the fixed ELT will help me if the aeroplane sinks to the bottom of the sea....

Regards, SD..