PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier dispute between Navy and RAF chiefs sees Army 'marriage counsellor' called in
Old 20th Mar 2009, 23:46
Finnpog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This arrogance does more than beggars belief!

I'll state now that I am on no way anti RAF. I grew up as an air force brat and wore blue uniforms as a child and an adult.

Unfortunately, the RAF has no higher purpose than to field aircraft into the sky. This is the raison d'etre of the whole organisation, with every trade solely geared to support or enable that function. Hence, the GD Pilot could be seen as the pinnacle of all career roles.

The selection process sees the FJ types as the top of the tree with everyone else as "almost rans".

If true, this CAS arrogance is only one step away from God-ship in making their successors in their own image.

Only FJ types good enough to be 3 star plus? What horlicks!

There is no need to have the FJ skill set as a pre-requisite to be a highly effective Air officer. There are many officers who (if the system allowed) could rise effectively to the top - admittedly they wouldn't have the badge on the chest but I am sure that they would have the mental wherewithal to refute the CAS's opinion.

As there are on line references to at least two Royal Marines officers who after qualifying as Commandos and leaders of ground combat troops have since qualified as Harrier pilots, then it could be said that the CAS might lack the wraparound 'warfighter' experience of these mates who have clearly demonstrated their intellectual prowess to exceed their Corps ceiling for promotion and take over as potential CAS's in the future.

If true, then he should be birched for denigrating the rest of the service IMO.