PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How NOT to become a Police pilot!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2002, 12:02
Arkroyal
Just a numbered other

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I do know a little more about this than I'm letting on, but need to tread carefully if I'm ever to be able to return to the unit for a cup of tea (or speed locally on my motorbike!).

Suffice to say that he got off on a technicality, and IMHO was very lucky to have the judge he had on the day. The charge was 'attempting to obtain pecuniary advantage by deception'. To have a case against him, it would need to be proven that he thought he would get the job and be paid.

His argument was that he was bound to be found out before payday, therefore no case. The judge agreed.

In order to give him enough rope to hang himself with, the ASU (who were by now suspicious, due to the complexity of elaborate excuses behind the lack of documents) would have had to let him start work, with all the obvious risks involved, safety, insurance etc.

They could not allow that, so no trial. The charge lies on the file, for a future case if necessary.

This means he has got away with the charge brought.

But, CAA, are you there? He has almost certainly committed offences which you could bring against him. You are keen enough to put hapless PPLs, who make mistakes, in court, so what about this Walter Mitty, who is now free to carry on with his deceptions.

That's the story as I understand it. Flying Lawyer, who was to defend this reptile may be able to add more, and/or correct my facts.