PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Borders - Shaming
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2009, 19:16
Foxxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCS99 she was in fact Canadian now living in LA.

Ha ha ha Rothin I never thought of that but I think thats exactly what my son was probably doing before he met "the one"!!! Well, not in the airport back room offices but possibly on the wonderful beaches!!!

He too was questioned at LA border on arrival earlier this year simply because I suppose he is young and he is a boy and probably because .....well as you said who would want to live in England really if you've got the chance to be there with sun sea and.....enough said!!! They would have more reason to question him but it was over with very quickly and allowed to pass through. His return ticket was for nearly 3 months but that wasn't really questioned because as I said before they accept that when someone has just flown all that way they want to make the most of it. She was only going to be here 8 weeks and they weren't even going to be staying in the UK for most of that time!!

Are we just old fashioned here? The UK border agency whilst questioning my son after interviewing his girlfriend asked him why he was able to stay in LA for that amount of time?? Are they mad?? Most young people take time out - so do some of us oldies come to think of it - what is so bad about that???

It doesn't surprise me some of the answers I have had back that others have experienced this. I just wish there was something that could be done about it - any ideas anyone?? I read a thread further up where someone said we all sit back and say yes sir, yes please, bring it on and never do we complain - well, we do but its usually on forum's like this or in the pub but where do we actually go to bring this to the attention of the people that matter???

I can't get over the fact that this poor girl saved long and hard for the air fare of which was $600!!! What a holiday!!! 20 hours of flying and another 15 hours of passing through and waiting around airports - Bargain!!!!! Surely the airline should be bought to task over not giving enough information. Maybe the safety of booking through Travel Agents will start to come back into fashion!! Then you've got someone real to blame instead of a computer screen!!!

Maybe its time more checking was done on passengers at the start of the journey. At least that way if something was wrong it could be corrected and you could travel knowing you would reach your destination and be able to stay there. If these customs officers are so highly trained they should surely be aware of what is required for every entry port?? So, if documentation was missing or health requirements not adhered to you would know before you started your long journey? Why would that be so difficult?

Hey ho more comments would be appreciated!!

Off to the pub to put the world to rights!!!