PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2009, 10:13
JimL

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
In an earlier post DB asked for comments on his presentation; I have already provided some and, in my last post posed the question:
I would also like to see what deck ovality is achieved with these approach angles – intuitively my feeling is that the shape on the presentation for ‘too low’ might be 3°, or even 6°.
Now one of main principles contained in the presentation is that there should be no departure from a stable (level) flight until the correct shape is observed (DBs CTB - am I the only one who does not like this). As this is such an important element (for me as well as for DB) I was intrigued to know if the representation (of the correct sight picture) in the presentation was accurate - hence the question that was posed. I have now constructed the perspective drawing and have found that DB's:
  1. too shallow is about 10 degrees;
  2. correct is about 20 degrees; and
  3. too steep is about 35 degrees.
Now I know that this was a presentation with the intent of moving the debate on and had to exaggerate to make the point; however, having had this view provided, do we now need to seriously evaluate exactly what we mean by the correct sight picture approach (the deck ovality)?

Jim

Last edited by JimL; 20th Mar 2009 at 16:42.