PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 21:04
h&s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair at main airport?

this is a very old question which is funny to see coming back at regular interval
3 years ago, MOL said that Ryanair will have no other chance to enter sonner or later into main airports... we still wait (another stupid things he said in the right line of "we'll never fly to poland" "valencia is a profitable base" and cut it 3 or 4 months later etc etc)

There is currently a natural segmentation of the market. True, there are some marginal routes where they compete head to head with EZY, but these are peanuts - ryanair stays on secondary airport and easyjet on main airport.

I am quite sure both management are happy with that - even if there are both at MAD, even if they will have more competition in many Ryanair strongholds (with easyJet probably coming in BRU and FCO), this is still in line with the natural segementation of the market (BRU or FCO being main airports).
If ryanair comes to main airport, first easyJet is relatively safe in MXP, ORY and GVA. Then what it left: CDG (ryanair will never go to CDG for sure), BSL (why not, but curent routes are difficult) or SXF (a bloody competitive market already) - so at the end, no big risk for easyJet

If they go to BCN, then you have vueling and clickair that will do all they can to save their home market positions = bloodbath.

MOL knows very well (actually, quite sure he doesn't know lol) that if he starts to attack main airports where ezy is strong, then he takes the risk to have easyJet attacking its most profitable airport i.e. Dublin = then it won't be a bloodbath, but one of the biggest fare war ever seen in the history of aviation lol

And I am not sure ryanair will be the winner... Look at what happen currently in Rome or Milan, this is easyJet which is winning market shares. Look also at what happened in LPL: recently easyJet added an extra aircraft whereas ryanair trimmed one...

Ryanair busines model really doesn't fit with main airport in terms of cost base, taxi time, productivity, type of passenger, brain etc

I don't think 1sec that ryanair will start (and even less - be profitable) at BCN - but I obviously can be wrong