PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in France (incl Permits, Private sites and Pictures)
Old 19th Mar 2009, 20:34
biggles99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flying in France

I share your experience Oogle, and have always enjoyed flying in France.

I'll be in Troyes some time this weekend en route to Italy.

If you've got your off airport permit, it is worth taking, just in case the weather goes bad.

I've never had issues with the Gendarmes, and like most places around the world, if you are courteous and pleasant, you'll be treated likewise.

Airfield refueling facilities do have a habit of closing for lunch, but you are on holiday, so go with the flow.

Travel light, wear comfortable clothes, take sensible shoes, hat and waterproof coat. Lugging everything from aircraft across apron to Control to taxi to hotel become a pain.

Take some snacks and some fluid, but don't drink too much, especially if you have a small bladder. Make sure you have snacks for when you cannot get any food. Avoid chocolate - it always gets on the seats and on your trousers.

Have an "aircraft bag" with all the documents, maps, stuff and keep it one place. Take it with you when you leave the aircraft - every time - since the one time you leave it in the aircraft you WILL need just one map, one phone, one bit of info that then involves a 20 minute hassle trek back to the aircraft.

Designate jobs between yourselves, and stick to them.Tasks like DI-ing the aircraft, flightplanning, booking the taxis, sourcing the hotels, chatting up the receptionists and so on. Otherwise the whole journey degenerates into committee rule, and you will take ages to get to/from the airport and back in the air.

Try to stick to a timetable, and in particular don't start winding each other up about the weather. Having said that, avoid AT ALL COSTS "get-there-itus". Remember that after 6 hours in the air, probably with a very early start, you will be tired and not neccessarily at your best.

On my trips, we always have a discussion first as to who is in charge (if you've ever flown a 4 -seat aircraft with 4 qualified pilots you'll know what I mean). Having established this, we also agree that if any one is uncomfortable with the conditions, they are to make this quite clear. We land as soon as safely possible if the Captain is unable to re-assure the person who is uncomfortable.

"French" info have always been really helpful.

There are a lot of military corridors to cross, -- most you can avoid by flying below them, but a quick call to "French" info will tell you if they are active or not (just like our Danger Zones).

Joel, try and get into the Alps for a bit of mountain flying if the weather is Cavok. It is truly stunning this time of year.

Enjoy.

Big Ls

Last edited by biggles99; 19th Mar 2009 at 20:44.