PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Competition Commission - Scottish Airports
Old 19th Mar 2009, 19:51
theredbarron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am no lover of monopolies but as someone who until recent retirement flew a round trip through Edinburgh on average once a week for many years I do have to say that from a passenger point of view they do provide us with a 1st class airport. Yes, it could be better - sometimes far too long queues at security - but overall when I compare it with other UK and foreign airports that I've travelled though it really isn't too bad. However, investment needs to continue and this is where my concern for the future lies if Manchester Airport Group (MAG) were to make a bid and be successful.

MAG also own East Midlands, Bournmouth and Humberside. Have any of you been at any of these airports recently and noticed what distinguishes them from other comparable sized airports? Yes, it's a complete lack of investment in quality passenger facilities. Even at EMA, a busy regional airport, not one airbridge, just a long wet walk from the aircraft into arrivals. OK, they have opened a new departure lounge, but at ground level and with yet another wet walk out to your waiting aircraft.

As for competition between Glasgow and Edinburgh, I believe that Glasgow will either under BAA or a new owner eventually kill off Prestwick. The latter's freight business is rapidly diminishing and will all but disappear in the next 24 months. I suggest that they will be unable to survive on Ryanair's business. Ryanair know that and hence they are rapidly building up an alternative base at Edinburgh. That's leaves us with a straight Glasgow v Edinburgh, which quite simply because of its location much closer to the centre of the country and with far superior transport links makes Edinburgh the undoubted winner. Glasgow will still be there of course, and so will Dundee, each serving their own niche markets but Edinburgh is the airport which is most likely to attract the critical mass of passengers needed to develop and sustain a wide range of successful international services and it therefore needs an owner who is up to that challenge. Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that airport users (passengers or airlines etc) will have any say in who that will be; it will be down to the accountants and bankers (oh dear oh dear!!)

I'm now running off to my air raid shelter in anticipation of sustained attacks from the West !