PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-800 Application of TO power while still aligning on centerline
Old 19th Mar 2009, 17:03
vonbag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you kindly for your replies:

Porch monkey, The Real Slim Shady, Captjns, and Ford Cortina (I drove a Ford Taunus, the European Continental equivalent, as my first automobile!).

Vonbag, you admit you were not in the jumpseat of the flightdeck, but ignore what has been said!!!!

I am a Boeing 737-800 pilot, I also fly the 300, 400 and 700 version.

If you enter the runway, intending to expedite matters, you can stabilise the engines at 40% N1 as you turn on to the runway, then by hitting TOGA, that is the switch on the thrust lever to initiate the Take Off (or GO Around), the Thrust Levers will start to move to the selected takeoff thrust, of course the Autothrottle has to be on.

This takes a second or two, and the spooling from 40% N1 to approx 80 to 90% N1, takes a few seconds more. In this time it is quite possible to line the aircraft up nice and central. It sometimes can be refered to 'taking her on the roll'.

But then I am a mere airline pilot and not as knowledgable about such matters as the passengers, any time you wish to land the aircraft, be sure to let me know, I will of course let you know where you are going wrong with Themodynamics of fluid machinery.

FC

Dear Ford Cortina,
I have read and understood the answers to my points 1., and 2.

In my previous message, I just wanted to add more specifically what my perception had been in order to explain the title of my thread, which includes "T/O power", also in answer to the highlighted question of Porch monkey.

However, at the end of my previous message I had written:

Another imprecision in my initial post:...
with this I implicitly admitted that there were other imprecisions in my message.
Sorry for not having been clearer!!!!!!

Now, thanks to yours and your kind colleagues' answers,
I have a picture of what a "take her on the roll" is and serves for,
and will be prepared for it in my future flights (when I must remain in the cabin! ).

Best regards,
Paolo