PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-introduction of Commissioning opportunities for NCA
Old 19th Mar 2009, 16:59
Sideshow Bob

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do officers think that everyone strives to be an officer? I'm an above average Sgt Air Eng, I have been for some time. The Air Eng promotion board is one of the least contested boards, there were only 14 people A grade last year to fill 4 slots, why you may ask, well most of us can't be bothered to play the secondary duty game that is now a requisite for promotion. I'm quite happy being a Sgt, I'm really not into all that jumping through hoops stuff, but I do take pride in my job and do it to the best of my abilities.
You see, I think there is scope for people like me to step into the seat in front of mine without being an Officer. Just because you managed to get through IOT does not suddenly make you a great leader, many Officers have proved this point to be correct.
Personally I'm working on promotion by attrition; I know that by the time I leave in 2023, there won't be many, if any, other Air Eng's left, so they'll have to promote me at some time, lol