PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air Pilots ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 16:41
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

In spite of what folks might think, I (too) think Arik Air has a great future.,,, but they (and others) really do need to get their house in order.

So here’s a suggestion,... how about stop buying so many aircraft and, instead, spend some time & money on getting the infrastructure, oversight and safety systems right?

Ah, Tombola, did I touch a nerve? ... Far from being an ignoramus (as you put it)... I did not accept (numerous) situations where it was somewhat ‘expected’ that one would look the other way wrt the rules (made all the harder given that Part A was not available onboard the aircraft).
Veritably I (and some others) do the things which a good Commander does.

And now let me give you a small lesson in flight safety. It's something all encompassing and not specific just to aircraft flight (it’s actually supposed to come from the top, and trickle down), wherein not sticking to the rules & laws, failing to supply crews with pertinent and accurate information, sweeping difficult / embarrassing issues under the carpet, are NOT conducive to flight safety. Neither is it open, or honest, and therein if this post stings a few folks into action, then great... this post might do some good!

It appears to me that you’re trying to defend that which shouldn’t be defended, whilst similarly not attacking (which is probably too strong a word?) poor practices and failings?! So don't be scared man, speak up!.... though I'll take the point that in Nigeria (and other places) this can lead to a very short career.

I'm pleased that you agree that some (much?) of what I say is true (well, you can hardly deny it... ‘coz you & I know that it’s true), but wherein I'll now endeavour to pick you up on the points of disagreement.

As for Part A (& D)... it's common practice, certainly at every airline that I've ever worked at, to have a copy of Part A onboard the aircraft.... this is not the case at Arik (and trust me when I say that I looked for it, in all the obvious places).

It's likewise common practice, again at every airline that I've ever worked at, to be given a copy of that airlines Part A, Part B, Part C & Part E... be that in paper or electronic format... but this is not the case at Arik.
That one pilot (your friend) might have a copy is great, but what about all the others... e.g. none of the people I joined with were given a copy of these manuals.

I should also perhaps add that the MEL / CDL onboard the aircraft are missing a lot of entries (which found out when I was wondering why the MEL/CDL book was soooo thin?!)

Wrt to potential circumstances leading to the aircraft being over-weight for takeoff or landing. This is typically caused by the lack of competence / training (or sheer laziness) of the ground staff (and often a belief by them that you'll turn a blind eye to such things... which I don't!)
E.g. Prior to departing base one asks for PLOG fuel (having confirmed there are no substantial LMC’s since the PLOG was generated). However, when you get to the aircraft you find that the ramp team have over-fuelled the aircraft (because they were not paying attention).
So would you have it that I should go and do their job for them? Maybe I should go and do the passengers check-in too, so that we can be sure of the load?!

Wrt overweight for T/O or Landing (according to several of the FO’s who relayed this to me) some of the Captains are prepared to turn a blind eye to such limitations... though (again for the record) I, however, am not (unless under the provisions of an emergency = different case)!

Aside - At a good number of airports on Arik’s network fuel uplifts are not available, not because it's not available, but only because Mr Johnson won't pay for the fuel there (for reasons best known to himself) which, imho, is actually a causal factor towards reducing flight safety... remember what I said about safety trickling down from the top?!

I’ll admit that I found it hard to fathom how the Nigerian FTL’s worked (and I’m not the only one)....if only because they are so ‘non-restrictive’.
It is certainly the case is that Nigeria’s CAR’s FTL’s were written a long time ago and are not in-sync with current thinking on fatigue (as embraced by more reputable Regulatory Authorities, e.g. JAR, FAA, etc).
E.g. a FDP of 14 hours, starting at 5am, with 6 sectors, is legal in Nigeria... requiring no ‘Discretion Report’ (the reason being that the sectors within Nigeria are short and the Nigerian FTL’s are based on the ‘block’ hours, i.e. chock-to-chock).

Wrt Nigerian airspace NOT being mapped in accordance with WGS84, have a look at this link WGS-84 Updates - Jeppesen and see if you can spot Nigeria in the list.... it’s not there by the way... and I trust that you’ll agree that Jeppesen is a reliable enough source?

It’s all too easy to get suckered into using a fabulous system like ‘IN’ to shoot approaches.... but to do so safely it’s got to be backed up by training (especially for the failure case), proper system / country mapping, and regulatory approval.

Fwiw.. I did go out at night in Lagos, and several of my closest friends are Africans (black Africans, for the avoidance of doubt). So please don’t try to portray me as some sort of fresh off the boat racist..... ‘coz that I am most certainly NOT!

LongJohnThomas - whilst I thankyou for some of your comments, you do seem to suggest that I would tollerate the loadsheet & performance calculations being in error? If so, I'd invite you to go back and carefully read what I wrote, wherein I think you'll find that my position is one of the exact opposite. Indeed I gave many a lesson on the intricacies of the Airfield Analysis and its application to real-world effects of being overweight - especially for the stopping case (e.g. on poor runways)... might I suggest a review of the Boeing FCTM (which I'll trust you are well aware of?).

I'll agree with you that flying in Africa is great... ideally having been well trained first, and maintaining high standards!