PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332 Main Gear Box run dry 30min ?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 12:04
Special 25

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The answer is a definitive NO !!

There is no dry running capability at all on the 332 Super Puma. You have the ability to bypass the oil cooler if the pressure starts to fall, but if the leak is elsewhere and you continue to lose gearbox oil (and pressure) you have to land immediately.

If that means ditch in the sea, then so be it. I'm sure the Cougar S-92 accident has created a lot of debate on this issue as to how far you can expect to travel - I dare say a few weeks ago, pilots may have flown perhaps 10 minutes to reach a suitable landing spot, but now I would be revising that estimate downwards to be sure of a safe touch down, even if it means in the water.

As someone said on another thread - The checklist says Land Immediately. If you extend that a few minutes and land successfully, you'll get a pat on the back - If he gearbox seizes with 2 miles to run, then people will question why you didn't ditch. Its a tough call, but anecdotal evidence will tell you that your flight time with zero lubrication is really very short.