PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-introduction of Commissioning opportunities for NCA
Old 19th Mar 2009, 10:49
Arty Fufkin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave JB,

Aptitude tests are just that. They are nothing more than a gross numpty check that filters out candidates who have no coordination, mental capacity, or SA. If someone commes up to you and says they passed pilot selection but failed on officer qualities, they mean the following:"I wasn't shown the door on day one becuase I was OK at the computer games, but couldn't find Afghanistan on a map" OK thats a litttle extreme, but my point is aptitude testing is a minor part of the process. That process is geared up to selecting a rounded military pilot first and foremost. If they have the qualities required to be a train as a pilot, they will by default have the qualities to hold a commision.

SJ Wort,

I have no angst, I am a commisioned pilot and as I said before would love to train up more NCOs as pilots ONCE THEY ARE COMMISIONED. For individuals of the same ability in the same job to be on different payscales at different ranks would be bonkers.

Gnd,

T'was a little banter. If I am correct, I understand the thrust of your concern to be that NCO pilots would be cheaper and therefore may be foisted upon the RAF any way. I personaly can't see that happening, but it should be opposed if it were ever suggested.

I cannot comment on how the army do business. An appache captain / commander or whatever, is undoubtedly a proffesional whose abilities outstrip those of many RAF pilots. I would contend that all army pilots be given the option to be commisioned if they wanted it. Whether or not it would be an attractive option for an Army WO to become a Lt is some thing I cannot comment upon. But to have a pilot in the RAF wearing Sgt stripes would be doing the bloke a disservice.