PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Queenair
Thread: Queenair
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 10:09
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed 777. It was extremely fortunate no one was seriously injured or even killed. It really should not have happened. the fool who was flying it was only just endorsed, (and a dodgy one at that) was not night or instrument current and the times that were reported in the ATSB report were wildly inaccurate.
Actually the whole report was inaccurate. (yes, I was there when it happened) I was in the aircraft a few hours earlier, while it was being worked on by the non qualified pilot of the other aircraft. (the gun runners ship...also known for dodgy charters).......... seems they got away with stuff that they should have been hung for.
What really happened was a cowl cover came off and the throttles were closed. the pilot saw he wasn't going to be able to stop on the remaining runway so he opened the taps again, got to the end of the runway and hauled her off at a couple of knots above the stall. Got way behind the drag curve and flopped onto the waste dump about 600 meters from the end of the runway. He simply couldn't out climb the 80 ft high dump. the deck angle of the aircraft when it hit was very close to the same angle of the dump, so it was a favorable outcome for the pax. It could have been a lot worse for all involved.
Back to the subject. there is an operator in Perth (Jandakot) that was running a couple of Queenairs. Last I heard he had just bought another one ex US because it was cheaper than replacing the wings on the old one. he may be able to walk you through the CoA process and what to look out for.