PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircrew (WSOp)
Thread: Aircrew (WSOp)
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 09:37
Amnesia180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircrew (WSOp)

Hi All,

I’m new here and am looking for a little bit of advice. I joined the RAF (only stayed around 5 months) and that was 4 years ago. I have since matured a lot and am now considering starting a career in the RAF.

I have done some research and have been investigating a career as Aircrew (mainly WSOp, Creman).

I have been in touch with the AFCO and they have given me the following information;
I will sit a 2 hour presentation, giving the details of life in Aircrew.
An interview with an Officer to determine whether I am suitable for the selection centre at Cranwell.
I will then spend 3 days at Cranwell going through Aptitude tests, Medicals, Interviews and Leadership tests for them to see whether I have the potential to lead a team and successfully get my message across.

My only concern, (as I am assuming competition is high), is that when I complete my 9 weeks basic at Halton, and progress onto the 10 weeks training at Cranwell, that (for any reason) I could be failed at Cranwell.

I have also been told that you do not choose to be a Crewman but get streamed into Electronic Warfare, Acoustics or Crewman (on either fixed wing or rotary aircraft).

I am interested in speaking to anyone who has recently done their 10 weeks at Cranwell, or already in the RAF as a WSOp.

An idea I have had is to contact certain Squadrons and ask if I can talk to any Air Load Masters (as I believe their job title has been placed with the WSOp Crewman one?). Do you think it is a bit early to be contacting them, though?

Apologies if this is a bit of a long winded message, I am just trying to gather as much information as possible, as this is my last chance.

(Some of you may have seen a similar thread at e-goat, if you’re registered there).

Thanks in advance,