PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FDM
Thread: FDM
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 08:32
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
TAXIING.

What are you concerned about. The FDM simply sees what the FDR is already looking at. Better than that you can see in graphic detail on a simulated computer generated instrument panel what you did.

Also displays the horizontal and vertical flight paths that you flew.

The aim of FDM is to improve our safety by having to come to terms with our performance during certain flights.

HERES AN EXAMPLE:

Our FDM at ABZ began very early on to pick up potential Roll-Over events whilst taxxing out and back from the runway.

Lots of warnings and even a diagram showing where the "Roll-over Hotspots" were occuring on the airfield. BRILLIANT.

Whilst talking with our venerable FDM man one day I mentioned that I did not think I was ever at risk of rolling over cos I made sure I completely lowered the lever when turning.

He said...Ah...Actually that is not the correct technique. Our FDM data had shown that pulling power WITH THE DISC OFFSET INTO THE TURN and therefore some of the thrust vector in my favour...was the best technique. Obvious really...well to the FDM computer and the man that looks at the data...but not obvious to me for the previous 10 years I had happily steered my pissed shopping trolley (PUMA) around ABZ and various other airfields.

FDM works. To be honest, the protocols in place do not allow the FDM to "Report" you to management. Usually the interview, backed up with some humbling graphics, does the trick to curb even the most ambitious Evel Knievels out there.

Embrace FDM....It is there to help us.

DB