PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 forces acting on unaccelerated, straight&level flight?
Old 19th Mar 2009, 03:42
FGD135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to have a little think about that statement.
Ok, I've had a little think about it, and I report that, not only was the statement accurate, I will add that ALL 4 FORCES ARE UNRELATED.

Yes, completely separate and unrelated.

To prove that statement, consider an aircraft in unaccelerated, "straight and level" flight. Then, go about removing each of the forces, and see whether their removal has any effect on the other forces.

Of course, removing one force causes a change to the flightpath, which then causes the other forces to change, but note that it was the flightpath change that caused the changes to the other forces - NOT the loss of the original force. This is the proof that the forces are unrelated to each other.

To the original question that this thread is based on: it is possible to build an aircraft, where, in unaccelerated "straight and level" flight, the T&D are greater than the L&D. In fact I wonder if some military aircraft can already do this.

To build your own, obtain an engine with plenty of thrust, say one of the current generation of turbofan engines that can do 100,000 lbs of thrust. Then, attach it to an airframe that weighs less. Think of a tiny airframe, with a tiny fuel tank and that great big engine.

Take it for a flight and have the thrust set at maximum. You will be going fast, and if your airframe (and fuel) weighs less than 100,000 lbs (about 45,000 Kg) then your T&D is greater than your L&W.

Again I say, there is no law that says the L&W must be greater than the T&D.

I think this question has arisen from the fact that the former set is USUALLY greater than the latter.