PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737NG Radio Altimeter/Autothrottle/Autopilot Interface
Old 19th Mar 2009, 02:01
Jetdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless the rad alt problem was fleetwide, I don't see how anyone could be convinced not to write it up. It only takes a minute. Let any engineer sign it off by a statement like 'the problem is cause by a laptop or something.' Now it is documented. I knowthat there are a few who may try to do that but many more will either placard the system inop or troubleshoot if time permits.
There are 3 main components in the system. 2 antennae and an R/T. Replacing an antenna will be the perfect time to check for corrosion. If these fail to cure the fault, the cables can be looked at. Most of the modern aircraft now do not have independent indicators but are displayed as part of the EFIS system.
There are no switches for the rad alt. My comments referred to the A/T and A/P. The rad alt primary function is to supply information to those systems. Pilots are not just flying by the rad alt. They fly by the A/P and A/T. When these systems do not respond correctly, they can be turned off.
Pilots need to monitor the aircraft performance as well as system operation at all times and not focus on one item. In this case it seems that they didn't focus on anything.
The A/P and A/T monitor rad alt information. They are looking for specific altitude data. As the data received was not flagged as faulty, these systems unfortunately responded in a correct manner. If the aircraft was monitored correctly, we would not be discussing this at all.