PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Grounded
Thread: Nimrod Grounded
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2009, 00:19
ShortFatOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigga,

I realise that CAM is in itself a whole area of specialization and requires different skill sets/processes to implement through the 'life' of an in-service aircraft. What I was trying to suggest (perhaps wrongly, I don't know, I'm not an RAF engineer) was that perhaps our training systems (aircrew and engineers) are too narrowly focused sometimes. Whilst I wouldn't expect us to go down the whole Licensed Pilot/Engineer route I would hope that we are taking the 'best practice' elements from our civilian counterparts experiences. The Manufacture & Design element is as important for us as CAM I think, as it provides a good insight into the many considerations that go towards getting an aircraft into service. It would then provide a useful lead-in to CAM and 'through-life support'.

As far as I know(someone please correct me if I'm wrong - oh, wait a minute this is Prune), Manufacture & Design Airworthiness concepts are not taught or even considered at Cosford, my point was that maybe they should be (and not just Cosford, Flying Training units as well).

Sorry, forgot to say "Yes, Joint Service Publication 553 - Military Airworthiness Regulation" is a document and is the progenitor of JAP 100 which is the Policy implementation side (standing-by to be corrected!).