PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air Pilots ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 23:58
AlternativeProcedure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, now the truth!!!

I really wanted to stay out of this conversation but reading that post by Old King Coal really forced me to reply. If I hadnt flown in Nigeria, i would have believed alot of the stuff he wrote, but i'm sorry with the benefit of years of flying in Nigeria, I have to correct certain things. I must say that not all the things he has said is wrong, but some of it is just plain wrong. So here we go:

Flying from Lagos - Benin, you only speak to Lagos control and you get transfered at MOPAD(65nm R104 LAG) to Benin. So where does PH app and Enugu come into it???

I've never in my time in nigeria found myself using three radios at the same time, thats just not true. if you find yourself trying to talk to three different people at the same time, something is seriously wrong, how about using the word standby???? remember Aviate, Navigate ..........

Situational Awareness is a MUST!
Is that not a must everywhere as pilots???

There's no Ops Manual Part A or Part D
How come my friend who flies the NG for the very same Arik has access to a copy of both documents???

Landing in excess of the aircraft's MLW is almost considered SOP... and rarely exhibits any more than a slight shrug of the shoulders
Isnt that a reflection on the pilot(you) who's willing to allow that in the first place??

Nigeria seemingly has no flight time limitations... and of if there are would somebody please be kind enough to publish them and / or explain them to us all?!
that has to be the biggest lie I have ever heard, there is a copy in the operations room and one in the chief pilots office. I can understand if you at least say it wasn't readily available but please dont make false statements please!!! And by the way, how did you pass your airlaw exam, which requires in knowledge of the NCARs(the big green book) and how it differs from that of the FAA/JAA. There's a big section on FTL and work and rest regulations.

You'll ask for 8 tonnes of fuel and they'll load 9
Once again, stay on the ball, monitor your refuelling!!!

The aircraft are required to park in the tightest parking area you've ever seen.... you wouldn't even want to park a Cessna 172 in there
You've obviously never parked an RJ100 at london city airport!!!

I'm not gonna spend all night ripping through your post buddy, alot of what you have said is true, and Nigeria definitely has a long way to go, but I had to dispell some stuff you mentioned!!!

Oh Yeah, boeingFlyer, you really need to wind your neck in and stop spouting drivel on this forum, if you have concrete experiences and example to speak about then do so, but in the absence of that, please stop insulting people on here. You lost me when you started insulting helicopter pilots, they are professional aviators, why generalise people like that?? CRM definitely an issue there, thank God you never went to Nigeria