PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night offshore landings: a new approach?
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 22:47
DeltaNg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realism

There is a whole load of guff and abbreviations going off here. At the end of the day we want to land a helicopter safely on a rig, with a load of people reading newspapers in the back.

When I started flying offshore, I had less than 200 hours Total Time. Can you imagine how I felt when I was introduced to night flying later on that year?

Every Line trainer has his (or her) techniques and pet hates. And usually, it's done on an okay kind of night.

I remember asking the question, what is it like doing this off an ARA when the weather is really bad?

"Well, son, then you've really got you're work cut out."

Great.

From then on, it's a kind of learning experience, watching others do a few landings, and having a go yourself.

Some people develop the rigid gate concept. Other just kind of wazz about as if it is daytime, and can often be pretty good at it.

The scary thing was, there really wasn't any defined profile that could be pointed to in a Manual. Lot of ARA diagrams and ideal 'commital points'. The bit in between decision point and LDP is kind of up to you.

When you have 200 Hours - you really don't want to be making that bit up.

Nor does anybody, because nobody can second guess you.

Db's profile is going along exactly the right lines. It should have been done years ago, and will have absolutely no impact on the commercial aspect.

In fact, it will simplify the entire decision making process, and make for a far better, professional operation. As an ex-NS commander, I can see the benefits of this shining from afar.

It should be embraced wholeheartedly.