PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstream 41 - Romania
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 18:50
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of them said that they don't like the gypsies because they give Romania a bad name etc.
Ehm, after checking with Wiki, there's almost 2mil of Romani/Gypsies/Travellers which is about 9%, but stats are never great, likely to be more.

Well, being 'from the region' I dare to say that Romania and its population has Romas inherent to that society. Much more than other Central European or Balkan countries. There's not that big difference in the looks, whether more 'Turkish' or 'Greek' looks or Roma/Gypsy.

pi$$-take
Well, average/sort of middle class and if anything below, population feels that way just by living in the country. You can't compare expat salaries for everywhere. They definitely are more than reasonable for local price levels.

begging is nuissance
Some Romanian travellers already having travelled to the UK and Ireland and exported these traditions to cities here. Whole gangs/families.

excrab is right.
Pro flying job is just that. If what they could offer doesn't suit you, why complaining, just forget it. 'Western salaries' aren't worldwide for that reason. If some Asian airlines need expats and can shell out for decent salaries, why not.

Although my experience is mainly negative regarding Romania or Bulgaria and their nationals, there's lots of bad apples everywhere and if one went by the experience of, say Czech expats/illegals in the USA, they'd conclude that the country's full of convicts..

You guys can't forget that the 'further away' you go from Western Europe and Med tourist destinations, the less foreigners actually living in those countries. Whether more of a novelty, or opportunity to rip them off.

I do remember 'tourist rates' in Central Europe that were 3-4x higher for Austrians, Germans etc (hotels, services, tourism) as mere mortal local wouldn't afford it and local rates would be laughably low for Westerners.

End of rant. Get a grip.