PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Arabic please with Iranian ATC
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 17:30
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inshalalah..........................

"xxxair 123, destination Tehran, inshalalah" Has nothing to do with a pilot’s lack of confidence on their ability to arrive at some point at a precise time. I wasn't there with you, and I didn't hear the transmission. But what do I know? I was only raised in Teheran and at the time was fluent in Farsi. And I was, on more than one occasion, mistaken for being Iranian by Iranians. I considered it a great honor.

There are several possibilities in what the pilot might have meant. First it was simply a reflex statement, with no particular meaning attached. Right mate; simply repeating a polite phrase.

If we were to meet and you asked me "How are you?" You are not really asking for an exhaustive run down of my health and the welfare of my immediate family. Those words are simply a polite gateway to the next level of communication, if there was any intended. Reflex statement-bridge phrase.

Or, they were placing themselves in the "proper and polite" position culturally by yielding themselves, and the events in their lives, to the possible redirection by the ALMIGHTY. It is a culturally respectable and well-bred position of humility. It may not translate favorably to somebody else outside that culture. But Dorothy is not in Kansas anymore.

Or, maybe they knew it was a pet peeve of yours and just wanted to get your goat? Just kidding, but there is an interesting “English phrase”. What are the Americans doing with goats?..........Let's not go there.

Persians are no more Arab, than the Catholics are Protestant. Not to understand that difference, and to lump them all together, is to make the same mistake as believing there is no difference (historically, language or religious experience) between an Englishman, Frenchman and a German. That reminds me of a joke………

A final note: there is a rage building among some Iranians against Arabs and Islam. (Rightly or wrongly. just what our world needs-more “rage”) Some are fiercely proud of their people and resent being “brushed off” or lumped together by foreigners who pass themselves off as being civilized, educated, technologically advanced and presume to "lead" the world. I am not saying that you personally did this or that you personally presume anything. Not the case at all.

This “cultural stuff” absolutely fascinates me, especially in how it relates to professional aviation and in particular CRM and the safety implications.

Side note: I would be especially interested in and value any feedback from Iranian and Arab pilots. How did I do, did I accurately present “your side”? Feel free to PM me.

3rdCulture. I only look like I'm a YANK.