PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TV Prog - Confessions of Steward
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2002, 23:10
MOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, max_cont , I can't decide whether you are naive or arrogant... tell you what, let's split the difference and go for inexperienced.

I'd hazard a guess that you have probably only flown for one or two airlines in your (very short) career. It is therefore entirely possible that you haven't seen the things of which we speak, but what I and a few others are trying to explain to you is that we have seen this stuff first hand and, despite your rose-coloured view of the industry, it is far more prevalent than you think.

The pompous way you have responded to us indicates to me that your "style of leadership and CRM" is, to say the least, imperfect and I would imagine that some of the stuff mentioned on the programme happens on your flights- you just don't know about it, and are unlikely to be told by any of the participants for what should be obvious reasons.

To take a few of your recent points:

Allow me to help.
The ANO states; Article 67
Every person in an aircraft registered in the UK shall obey all lawful commands which the commander of that aircraft may give for the purpose of securing the safety of the aircraft
The point is that the lawful command must be reasonable. This is a common law point.

The fact that I, like a lot of our professional colleagues take the opposite view to that of the tabloid TV trash does not in my opinion equate to outraged self-righteous denial.
... except when you start sending self-righteous emails to the perpetrator of the tabloid TV trash in question, and publicising the fact here- particularly when your grasp of the facts seems to be so fatally flawed.

If they provide the evidence (especially about CC flying the A/C) then I would welcome any enquiry into the allegations.
Please try not to be so incredibly naive. That will never happen for obvious reasons, in the same way that C4 didn't get into trouble over their drinking expose. I wonder who has the most to lose by pursuing that inquiry?

MOR/password, do try to change the FROM field in your profile. It does rather give the game away.
Um, you are being naive again... it doesn't. trust me on this.

I'm not sure how we got sidetracked onto hygiene, that isn't the point at all. What is the point is that some CC will hit back at a difficult pax or colleague in the only way they can- it is simply a very human reaction and is a result of the same conditions that drive restaurant staff to do similar things- namely having to do an often-degrading task for minimal reward, and working very long hours in difficult conditions into the bargain- with little training or supervision in many cases. It is an area that the industry, for all its pre-occupation with CRM and Human Factors, has no intention of addressing because, to quote a senior airline HR figure- "we have girlies queuing up to be CC, they are a disposable commodity" (apologies to the boys). I fundamentally disagree with that viewpoint, before anybody gets the wrong idea!!

There are still plenty of captains out there who will let the CC fly- or do flybys, buzz their houses (Britannia), etc. I've never done it, I would be livid if I saw it- but I know it happens. It is an open secret in our industry. Nobody is ever going to name names, for what should be obvious reasons. The CAA know it goes on, but what can they do without evidence? It's a bit like the C4 drinking expose- nobody would admit that either, until confronted with the evidence- although we all knew it went on (well, except maybe for you).

Anyway, the discussion has probably run its course, I had better quit before I get into trouble!

Oh, and for malteser - please feel free to think whatever you like!!