PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - jet2 man 757 contract
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 12:04
CEJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off Topic.

As one of those who speaks 23 languages from birth and flies for a UK airline I think I am qualified to reply to Julie and Slim Shady.

I try to understand their view of the whole situation with non Brits flying for British airlines while not a lot of Brits fly for Dutch, German, Spanish etc. carriers.

However as has been said by Dreamshiner a lot of it is by your own making. (not trying to offend anybody, please let me explain.) In Holland you start with basic English lessons from the age of 10. From then on, for me, it has always been a mandatory subject till leaving school at the age of 20. At college besides English you get French and German which you can drop after 1 or 2 years if you choose to. In the UK (as far as I understand) you get a similar deal as in that you have a few foreign languages which you can drop if you choose to.

As I haven't got a talent for languages I dropped my German and French as soon as possible. After finishing my flight training I choose to apply to Lufthansa and got invited for the selection. However as my German was way below what was required I took the latest possible selection date and in the meantime did a full course in German. They don't necessarily want to see that you are fluent in the language but that you at least give it a try.

So the system for the guy's and girls from the continent is exactly the same as for the Brits. If we want to apply to any airline outside our own homecountry we also have to learn the lingo. If you are to lazy to put in the work then don't blame it on the guy's and girls who have put in the effort.

So I am very sorry, but your comments that the global economy sucks is bullsh*t.

And by the way, even while being Dutch it is still impossible for me to apply to KLM. But thats a different discussion which has done the rounds many times on here.