PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 Cut obstacle clearance.
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 08:10
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mcdhu,

I'm by no means a PANS-OPS or TERPS "expert", I do have a good working knowledge of it because of it's relationship to other Performance areas where I am required to know a bit more.

I have put it to my employer and other clients that we should take this matter just as seriously as the Takeoff case, and fully "engineer" it. The inevitable reply is "Is it a LEGAL requirement ?" That usually ends the conversation.

If there is any commonality between FAR 25 (and equivalents) and PANS-OPS(and equivalents), and there isn't, but similar principals MAY be involved.

FAR 25 does not require the user to account for the performance degradation during the climb in 2nd segment. (I do, at the mid-point between end of 1st Segment and MAA, but that's me). The airfield elevation applies, thus, you may consider it as an INITIAL 2.5%, degrading thereafter. (Wonderful isn't it?). Even conservative Australia does not require application of QNH, which may well 'bump up' the prevailing Pressure Height by 1,000 ft or so. (Boeing DO, and so do I).

To address the second part of your question, unless an Acceleration Altitude is specified, you are required to maintain the 2.5% Gradient all the way to Missed Approach Altitude. Not having a "deep" knowledge of PANS-OPS, I don't know how long the Acceleration Segment is (if quoted), but bear in mind that OEI, this may be veeery long, anything up to 30,000 M. I doubt that this is built into the Missed Approach procedures, but I stand by to be corrected.

Pretty vague answers I'm afraid mcdhu, but guidance for your further reaearch. All will become clear when Oz_Expat emerges from his cave.

J_T, "I deleted Ian's surname just in case he might not want to be identified .. it probably would be crass of me to ring him to enquire .. JT". Sorry for breaking one of the cardinal rules, actually Prooners, the "C" stands for Claus, Santa Claus that is, to whom the gentleman referred to has acquired a remarkable resemblance.

Thanks for the cross reference to Barit1's post, nice to see that we speak the same language.

Oz_Expat, where are you when we need you?

Regards,

Old Smokey