PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The D'havilland Heron Story
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 07:23
India Four Two

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts
the Queens flight (stripping that Dayglow off them was a lousy job)
In 1969, at least one of the retired Queen's Flight Herons was at 27 MU at Shawbury, ostensibly a spare. The MU pilots used it as a hack for ferrying parts and people. One day, while hanging around the UBAS crew room (Chipmunk flying had been scrubbed because of a low cloud-base), the MU phoned and asked if anyone wanted to go to Aldergrove as they had to pick up some parts.

So six of us piled into the Heron and set off. The call sign was nothing special so there was some consternation in the tower at Aldergrove when a bright red Heron appears out of the gloom on final. By the time we had taxied in, the Station Commander and the SATCO had showed up to greet their unexpected VIPs.

They were not impressed when a bunch of long-haired (by RAF standards) students in flying suits ambled down the steps

Coincidentally, I had another trip to Aldergrove a week later, this time in a Dove.

It occurred to me recently, that I have been in more DH products, either as a pilot or passenger, than those of any other manufacturer. To date the list includes DH-82, 89, 104, 114, 115, 125, DHC-1, 2, 6 and 8. I'm hoping to add to the list.

Correction years later: for Dove, read Devon.

Last edited by India Four Two; 29th Mar 2020 at 18:13.