PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar announces domestic NZ operations
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2009, 07:15
Fruet Mich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W9, I don't think you fully understand my earlier post?

So what you're affectively saying is that you would be happy to live in Syd earning $65k flying an A320? Pay for your medical yourself, pay for your AvSec card yourself and get paid DTA's only when on overnights?

It's not about exchange rate. It's about being paid a salary that is kept in line with the current market rates for a pilot flying an equivalent machine.

Forget exchange rates, get that right out of your head. Think salary minus living expenses equals expendable income.

For instance, you're paid a salary of $65000NZD, you pay $1.58 per litre for fuel, $500 per week for a very average house, on average about 20% more in food prices plus GST, and across the board is more expensive for everything at listed prices. So more expensive to live NZ than in Australia.

If you are paid $65k and live in Australia, you will have a lot more expendable income at the end of the week once you have paid for all your living expenses.

If you are paid $65k and live in NZ, you have less left over. Get it? This is the point. Market rates for an equivalent pilot and a little bit less of a puss take from Jet* Hope this is a little clearer than my earlier thread.

Again, I'd like to hear why Jetstar thinks Kiwis should be paid $65k NZD and Aussies should be paid $79k AUD. Got it?

Insult case and point!