PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Hero" pilot's pay cut, pension stopped
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 22:52
pg wing tips

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The professor (post55)

I find myself reading your post and not being completely sure if it is tongue and cheek…your argument seems so simple that I’m not sure if you are joking ?

Captain Sullenberger has already gained his experience and knowledge in commercial aviation prior to any pay reduction. A military background prior to joining commercial flying also helped I’m sure. You do not loose all that just because your salary decreases.

It has been mentioned prior to your post that once you are in a job for a number of years it becomes much more difficult to change career. Captain Sullenberger is 58 what would you suggest he do ? I would also assume that he is senior enough to still be on enough of a salary to live and even though he detests taking a cut will hang on until retirement.

The point is that the training and knowledge was already there. There are great number of issues surrounding this thread and cutting pay is part of it. You could look at everything from unrealistic short term goals set by those in charge to personal pride, industry stigma and training to mention but a few.