PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyrocopter involved in murder charge
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 21:42
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vanHorck
VP959 post, an addition

Governments try to regulate and sometimes have to allow or disallow something that the community is divided on. Thats why we have police.

To introduce a law (in this case the hunting ban) and then not enforce it is asking for trouble. That s not a criticism of the police forces but one of the legislators.
I couldn't agree more. I have occasionally wondered quite how our legislators ever intended our police to enforce this law. The only effective way of ensuring compliance would be to follow hunts across country, which would almost certainly mean the use of some form of aerial asset, at considerable expense to taxpayers.

Given that a breach of this law is, at best, likely to result in no more than a metaphorical slap on the wrist for those engaged in hunting, then it seems inevitable that police forces would opt to put enforcement of it at the lower end of their list of priorities.

We have far, far, too many examples of poorly thought through laws, created for political expediency rather the the overall good of the people. Unfortunately there seems to be no easy way to get useless law repealed. If a political party made (and provided some assurance that they would honour) a pledge to review and repeal the plethora of ill-thought through and unenforceable legislation in their first term in office then they'd get my vote.

VP