PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Grounded
Thread: Nimrod Grounded
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 20:43
ShortFatOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdSett
I have enjoyed reading your measured, considered discussions/arguments on this forum and you have done more than most to bring some levelheaded common to what is undoubtedly an emotive subject.

However, one small observation on a comment a few post ago where you said that no-one (aircrew?) at Kinloss knew about a Safety Case even existing? The fact that one existed but no-one knew about it isn't really the fault of the IPT. As professional aviators we should all take an interest in how our chariots/sports cars/double decker buses make it into the air. I don't mean just Mr Bernoulli and his theories but all the aspects of stress testing, fatigue life measurement and impacts, engineering processes and yes, aircraft certification process. An old and oft quoted saying "Ignorance is no excuse" is as relevant today as ever.

We should and must make aircraft safety our business as operators, we can't just hold our hands up and say "Nobody told me." Ask, question, learn, dig, pester and do it until we are satisfied.

Keep up the good work!