PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter flights at a country show
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 18:12
pilotmike

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts
Pilot.Pete is the same person who posted on the 'Spare Seats' thread asking for a fixed wing pilot to take him up to show him some fixed wing flying, and to 'show him a good time'.

I (quite kindly, I think) offered to take him for a flight from a local airfield just a few miles from him. Being both ATPL(A) and CPL(H), I felt that I would be in a good position to 'show him the differences' between rotary and fixed wing.

He then started asking me about the costs of flying fixed wing, and when I told him, he said that he couldn't fly with me as I'd let my instructor rating lapse, and therefore he wouldn't be able to log the time! Quite a step from 'please could someone take me up for a flight', to 'I wouldn't waste my money flying with you if I can't log the time'! I have to say, it seemed rather ungrateful. When looking for a first step 'in the industry', it is somewhat unwise to alienate anybody who could potentially be a useful contact.

As for believing that holding a CPL with no relevant experience entitles you to rock up and tout for trial flights at a fete, whether for charity or not - just what exactly were you taught on your CPL course??!!