PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Re-introduction of Commissioning opportunities for NCA
Old 17th Mar 2009, 17:30
Cornish Jack

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
almost all NCA could easily be Pilots/Navs as they have the aptitude, but for instance would they have the presence to be a multi-engine aircraft captain? Dealing with 14 crew and over 200 passengers, stuck halfway round the world can be quite challenging
Really??
Perhaps just as challenging as captaining a multi engine aircraft ALL THE WAY AROUND THE WORLD as used to be the case with stalwarts such as M Plt Jack Huntingdon et al. Done, I might add, in aircraft considerably more demanding than the 'over the weather' pressurised comfort of today's crews. Those crews descended directly from their counterparts who operated in even worse conditions 'cos they were flying over countries which had a habit of firing nasty big explosive things at them. Oh yes, by the way, our nco captains flew their multi-engine aircraft by themselves - one pilot, one pilot's assistant and one Nav, and, would you believe it, they actually managed to do it quite successfully. I'm afraid that I still fail to understand what supposed 'magic' attending the 'Rupert Factory' works on highly competent pilots. I do know that ALL of those nco pilots that I flew with were quite exceptionally gifted - not necessarily something which could be universally applied elsewhere.