PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Office "Outlook" storage systems/suggestions?
Old 17th Mar 2009, 14:05
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Office "Outlook" storage systems/suggestions?

One major thing that bugs me with computers is that they so often ask you if you would like something - but they hardly ever explain the pros and cons, or ramifications, of your choice of answer.

One very topical example is Microsoft Office Outlook.

I'm looking at my "Inbox", on my second monitor, and it suggests (I have no reason to disbelieve it) that I have 2,702 items neatly stacked in there...all in date/time received order.

Granted a few of them are copies of copies of copies - with one extra line added, as I get another reply to an ongoing conversation but, on the whole, I do want to keep the vast majority of these mails. I just don't think I want to keep them on the main Inbox screen.

Occassionaly, Outlook politely asks me if I would like to "archive" them - but the answer is "I dunno". What does "archiving" do to them? Does it grab all the mails before a certain time reference (if so - what) and store them in a subfolder somewhere (if so, where) for me to go hunting for later? Does it just keep them in exactly the same date/time order to be trawled through? I dunno.

I *think* I would like to trawl through the messages and bundle them into little topic related yellow folders - but then where do I save those?

There is room in the "Mail" panel on the extreme left of the screen, but I'm not 100% convinced that I want to see historical, but required, folders on the main screen, day after day.

I'd be grateful for some indication as to how you folks all ferret away your mail messages in a user friendly way of being able to call them back at the subsequent board of investigation.

=^..^=