PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 Cut obstacle clearance.
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 11:47
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
the Australian operators did take this seriously, and I'm a product of that system.

As am I ... which is why, I guess, we speak similar concerns and priorities.

There's no legislative requirement, as there is for Takeoff, for the Missed Approach with One Engine Inoperative.

.. but he who ignores it for critical runways may make page 3 (or page 1) of the newspapers .. depending on the number of folk killed in the ensuing CFIT

If TRULY caught out, I couldn't give a damn, these limits are created for engine life expectancy

A pertinent post from barit1 earlier today on this very topic (post #13 in the TOGA thread)

Any straying outside Runway direction puts you immediately into the mine-field of No Man's Land!

One of the reasons we push these sort of threads is the general lack of understanding about just how tight the initial splay tracking tolerances are ..

but in the modern day with good Track flying data capability, extended RWY centre-lines on the Map display etc., it can one day be shelved

.. but, as you and I both know from sitting in back at the organ player's station ... one has to provide plenty of practice to get the message across. Hence my game of getting initial commands (in particular) to the stage where they could handle a min speed, aft CG seizure (or similar .. the blue crane bird strike programmed into the 732 in a land far away was very illustrative on this point) during the rotation flare ... with a requirement to backtrack the other end localiser .. it was always a buzz, when the pilot got to a comfortable standard, .. to say something along the lines of "oh well .. that's as hard as it gets ... guess you deserve a coffee" and watch the individual waltz out of the sim with a head twice the diameter of the shoulder width ..

The 733/4 aren't in the league of 777s and the like .. but, even then, with track up etc., it took some practice exposure for folk to get on top of the pushing and pulling needed to handle a critical takeoff failure.

Mind you .. "routine" failures thereafter rarely raised more than a bored yawn from the front seat.