PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 09:48
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great ideas in principle but little thought as to the overall business model !
Maybe a reduction in car parking may entice more pax, but this really is a total upside down way of addressing the problem.
PaarmoThis is the chicken and egg situation. If you don't have any flights you don't have any car parking.
Absolutely !
One needs flights to attract the pax in the first instance, at this moment airlines are not reflecting a favourable attitude to DTV and free car parking ain't going to impress them, nor I suspect is free aircraft parking, landing fees or even free refreshments for the crew if the perception is that they are unable to fill their aircraft with pax who are to pay for seats at a price that enables them to make an operating profit ! Do you note these words guys?, because all this talk of free & subsidised airport amenities & services only works when you are dealing in volume. Falling numbers of pax at DTV & few services, then the only pax you are going to attract (assuming that there is an appropriate destination on offer) are at the lower end & these individuals provide little contribution to revenues. To add one further point, then there is little scope for an airline to put flights into DTV and obtain decent seat revenues when the perception from the residents is that cheap travel is available either "up" or "down" the road.
As a note yesterday I was speaking with a Stockton resident who felt more than compensated in a lack of a local flight to the Greek islands by the deal he & his family had been offered at LBA. Now that to me says it all.