PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - utility bills
Thread: utility bills
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 08:05
jacobus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hschol, Depends on what style of dwelling your contemplating and it is highly seasonal...I should say electricity certainly is...Summer..say May to October, quite high due to aircons/dehumidifiers etc..certainly in a village house..Brief respite November to December, then a spike again as you turn on those oil fired heaters, for the 5 weeks or so that it is cold..(It isn't actually that cold, however Hong Kong properties are built of pre-stressed concrete and are neither heat or cold resistant, in the main have no double glazing, and are therefore good for f#ck all apart from vastly inflated prices) Water, surprisingly reasonable, considering how much of it the locals piss away by washing their cars every day..It is metered, but is surprisingly cheap, by say, European standards.. Gas, bottled or Town, not too bad. Now TV, expensive, repetitive, with a **** interface, and crap programmes...PCCW..local calls free, IDD (depending on where you dial out to in the world) not too bad, there are ways around it of course..SKYPE/FREECALL/other Internet options etc. To quantify the above, family of 3 or 4. Village house, relatively sensible use of aircons/washing machine on the whole time etc. then say $50000 pa..I havent' included immoderate use of phone etc. from your better half ringing her Mum back home because you've pissed her off.,nor factored in running a car here etc.(a big cost in Hong Kong) If all of you are bunked up in a 700' job/cable thrown in etc. etc. then it will obviously be a lot less. Perhaps the biggest single difference you'll notice is the price of your daily/bi/tri-weekly shop..All of the supermarkets (you can't really call them chains) are monopolized, and owned by the usual suspects that own everything else in this town..ie car franchises/ IKEA franchise etc. etc. Everything here is virtually flown in, (well, the stuff that appeals to Western pallets is) and as a result we have a global footprint like a Yeti, and pay the cost accordingly..so be prepared for a shock down Park'N' Shop/Taste/Welcome..Hard to quantify; I'd hazard a guess at around 40% on Brit prices; can't comment on the US/CAN etc.