PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 06:02
Sandy Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geoff I think this thread is a better place to respond than the S92 crash one.
Are you speaking different kind of English? Well maybe you've a bit of an Italian accent now!
We've both been around long enough to know aircraft (and not just helicopters) are full of "mistakes".
Design Engineers make mistakes. Genuine mis-thinks; not understanding what pilots and aircraft may be required to do; not thinking through subsequent problems from initial failures. The S-76A was a classic on several issues. Airbus computer Logic for a fly-by another.
Third Party Suppliers make mistakes. Misinterpreting design documents, saving time/money without realising consequences. Thinking they know better than Designers. Not applying QA procedures.
Production Personnel make mistakes. Looking inside any aircraft torn down for a major check shows many "unique" features. Also think B407 and early FADEC wiring issues all down to one line worker.
Yes Quality Control should catch all these, but they don't.

More specifically 139 floats. Yes of course they are designed not to inflate in the cruise. Yes so far that is the case, the only reported uncommanded inflations appear to be a specific aircraft problem. (Production Mistake as above?) The 139 CFIT - don't think floats would have made any difference one way or another. But I will give you a 0-1 score right now , not a full time score yet tho! I really hope nobody ever has to even the score with a float inflation at 155kts or so...

Even you say in Post #453 "So f***ed up avionics is not just an Italian/US thing then??"
I think all 139 Drivers have had "Why the heck has it done that?" or "Control, Alt, Delete" moments. I'm not sure why any one system should be immune.

If the Float system is so reliable perhaps we can do away with the Arming Switch entirely and it is routinely live whenever flying, taking away the necessity to arm on becoming feet wet....

The reality is, aircraft are not built the way they are designed; components are not totally reliable nor do they always last to TBO. If everything always performed as advertised we wouldn't need your talents in the sim! I'll read what is written on the tin but not necessarily believe it.

How do I personally use the floats...... Well having now been seduced by New Jersey Simulator I'm not sure I'll be back to Italy for you to find out....

Last edited by Sandy Toad; 17th Mar 2009 at 06:09. Reason: Quotation Marks added