PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regarding holding pattern entry procedures
Old 17th Mar 2009, 02:04
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the airbus FMGS enable it to plonk itself in the hold, and fly it's own entry?? If so, how would it enter? Would it do one of the 3 standard entries, or just do it's own thing??

Wanting to avoid willy-waving and the whole "I've got more hours" etc thing...
The aim does say;
(d) While other entry procedures may enable the aircraft to enter the holding pattern and remain within protected airspace, the parallel, teardrop and direct entries are the procedures for entry and holding recommended by the FAA.
I can't comment on JAR, as I'm not up to speed on their way of doing things, but if they stipulate that there are ONLY 3 ways of entering a hold, then yes, it's different here and your point is valid. Apologies if you think I was trying to make you look stupid! I'll admit that I was unaware of this (until before posting), so thanks for enlightening me! Now I feel stupid! If anyone can quote the JAR hold entry speel verbatim (or show me where to find it), I'd like to see.

I don't know of anybody teaching these "other entries" to Instrument Pilots though, and I wouldn't think that you'd impress a DPE if you flew your own entry on a check-ride! (when it was clearly obvious which one to use) At least you're covered in the event of a hold entry brain-fart, which is nice.

As has been mentioned before, as long as you're maneuvering on the holding side, and keeping things tight (especially in bigger/faster aircraft) to establish on the inbound course, it "should" all be OK.

It would help if I had a picture, but I have been taught that the holding airspace is designed as follows (although there is no mention of this in the FAR/AIM, and I've been wanting to check this for a while now...)
From the Fix; 10NM back along the inbound course, 7NM out to the holding side, and 3NM, both out in front (on extended line through the fix from inbound course) and out to the non-holding side. Sketch it out and you'll get the jist. Mark the distances out from the fix, and draw big rectangle around it with those distances from the fix to the edges. I was told that this is the airspace that ATC will keep clear for holding traffic, but like I said I can't find anything from the FAA to show this. They teach this at my flight school here (both on my IR and CFII) and make a point about it. It would be interesting if anyone (ATC guys/gals) can shed some light on this! I heard "Hold Template" mentioned earlier, perhaps that's what that is?

(The only thing we could come up with, is that at 265kts for 1.5 mins, even with a strong tailwind, you should still be able to stay inside that airspace?!)