PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Path as a Maintenance Engineer!
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2009, 02:00
SMOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alan,

Make sure you do your homework as to what job you actually want to perform on a day to day basis.

I applied for an A/C maintenance apprenticeship just after I left school (Australia) as I wanted to work on 747s but didn't do my homework as such, and during my interview they asked if I wanted to do a Mechanical or Airframe apprenticeship, I asked what each job did exactly and basically got told airframe was the way to go to get to work on the airframe and mechanical would be fixing chairs.

Now they weren't wrong (the guys interviewing were airframe and I think they coaxed me into being one of them) but after I started I found out that Mechanical was what I'd wanted. The airframe job was sheetmetal very skillful as some of the parts I've seen made by sheetmeatal guys was incredible, but there's no reason for a sheetmatal guy to change a landing gear which was the stuff I wanted to do, but I had to fix chairs and the crappy stuff before I got there.

However during my time doing sheetmetal work we often dealt with aeronautical engineers that designed the repairs needed for the A/C which weren't applicable to the SRM (structural repair manual) these guy wore suits and ties and only came out to the A/C when required to see how to start coming up with a repair and I figured got paid more than us due to their degree, is this you? It's was definitely not the job for me.

Thankfully I managed to change from a "sheety" to airframe/engine (mechanical) apprentice in my first yr and spent many happy years working on the 747.