PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fis/basic - ATSOCAS Changes - 12th March
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 22:52
bottom rung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely not! At the moment under the new regs I can either offer a BS to VFR traffic, and pass no traffic info apart from generic (until there is a collision... then I get hauled up under duty of care); or I can offer a PS to VFR traffic, in which not only do I pass specific traffic info, but I have to separate as well. A service under which I could pass pertinent traffic info and not have to provide separation to VFR aircraft would be nice. Oh, hang on, can't do that anymore apparantly.
Due to airspace limitations and controller workload, there is only so much separation we can procedurally provide. I'm not trying to wimp out of my obligations, but the fact is that in most of the areas of responsibility allocated to non-radar approach units in Class G, the lateral and vertical boundaries only allow you to provide separation to a certain amount of traffic; much less than we could safely provide pertinent traffic information to.
As you know, separation is now provided according to the service required, not by the flight rules of the aircraft concerned. Mix in a few IFR aircraft shooting approaches on a PS with a few PS VFR transits and hopefully you can see how the ATC workrate climbs dramatically as we use up available levels and deemers.
Not making excuses... I am on your side, trying to provide the best service possible. I just don't believe these rules allow me to do that.