PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - question regarding age to fly
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 21:29
montag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have doubts about this - when I was 16 I had the money to take my bike on the ferry to France - with or without my parents' consent - no-one ever asked - but not for transatlantic flights. But if you are planning a new life in London you have bigger problems than just getting on the plane. If you want to work you'll need a work permit and the place to start is the local British Consulate. You don't want to find yourself here with questionable immigration status - our immigration gestapo are not pleasant people, no job and rapidly dwindling funds.

If you are determined to travel without your parents consent, and can afford another ticket, you can also afford an hour or so with a lawyer to make it possible - the courts have powers to give you the freedom to travel. But far better to get your parents on side - if it all goes wrong while you are downroute you might need them to bail you out. To do that you'll need to convince them that you have done your research, have a viable plan for finding legal work and housing, and have a ticket home if it goes wrong.

Or you could wait until you are 18, jump on a plane and never speak to them again. But that might cut you out of the will. Me, cynical?

If this is genuine, good luck. You'll need it.