PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Grounded
Thread: Nimrod Grounded
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 19:04
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DV:
Whether we agree with it or not, Hazard H66 is set to CATASTROPHIC on the Cassandra Hazard Log. It was recommended by BAEs and accepted the Nimrod IPT.
Well, I've said it before, but its incorrect. Lets not forget that H66 is part of the original Nimrod Safety Case, which has been severely criticised by the BOI. As I write, that safety case is under scrutiny by Kinloss engineers and aircrew, for the first time (see my comment below). Once I know how H66 fares under examination by the experts, I will let everyone, here, know. Given that it was Kinloss officers who found the flaws in the original hazard log, I suggest that H66 should have been sent to Kinloss, for an opinion on its "catastrophic" effect, before the IPT decided to take the drastic action it has.

A new safety case is currently being produced by BAeS, with all interested parties involved. I'm confident that the zonal and functional hazard reports will be far more accurate, and that the effect of HP air duct failure in the engine zones will be assessed as less than critical. Lets face it, BAeS built the Nimrod. The company designers were not so stupid, even in the late 60's, to create a system that would bring the aircraft down with one single failure. They knew that hot pipes were needed in the engine zones, so they designed failure warnings, isolation valves and crew procedures to cater for the failure and prevent a catastrophic or critical event. Now, in their niavety, the company safety staff have paid little or no regard for the company designers' provisions right at the outset of the aircraft's life. BAeS are truly British Waste of Space.

Ed Sett

PS. The BOI report, in Dec 07, recommended a review of the Nimrod Safety Case (NSC) by Kinloss engineers and aircrew. It is a collection of documents that have never been at Kinloss, AFAIK, until now. We didn't even know it existed. It is only now, nearly 15 months after the publication of the BOI report, and more than 4 years since the NSC was produced, that the NSC has finally arrived at Kinloss for examination. I blame the IPT for that one.