PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TV Prog - Confessions of Steward
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2002, 16:39
Hew Jampton

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't intend to do anything more that might exacerbate max_cont's wish to turn this into personal antagonism, or that might reveal my identity, but I have never been cabin crew, but have first hand knowledge and experience with several operators, past and present.

You, max_cont, presumably never position as a passenger where you might see these things (short haul crew in some operators do a lot of positioning), and never remain on the aircraft for short-haul turnrounds (up to five a day) when you might see these things. One of my points is that some C/C, but by no means all, think that they are doing nothing wrong in the actions that I have seen, so have no qualms about doing them in front of witnesses. I listed the things I have seen or have reliable information on - heaven knows what those sort of people get up to when nobody's looking! If they think thay are doing nothing wrong, or that the demands of the schedule etc outweigh the demands of basic hygiene and duty of care, then fundamental training in food hygiene etc is called for.

The CAA, as usual excels itself in burying its head in the sand over a matter in its 'too difficult' tray, saying its not their responsibility, although as MOR states, they are by no means unaware. The Environmental Health Officers have no mandate on galley hygiene and C/C practices (so far, but vide the HSE's increasing involvement in aircraft matters, it's only a matter of time).

Not "rubbish" about pax wanting to walk around; it's been basic medical advice to pax for many years, way before DVT became a populist issue (although DVT has been known about for years, people sleeping in deckchairs in air-raid shelters, being one documented cause). I note that my point about pax wanting to use the loo but the FSB sign being on for C/C convenience reasons is not addressed; I note the Freudian slip in it being at the captain's "digression" (discretion?), he's absolutely correct, to use the FSB for C/C convenience, not safety reasons, is a digression from what should be acceptable practice.

Are you really saying you find the practice of picking up food off the galley floor and putting it back in dishes etc acceptable? I know that it happens in land restaurants, but does that make it acceptable?

Using perfectly serviceable lavs for stowage, like crew bags that should be in the hold - what if the legal minimum are still available? Is that the customer service target to aim for, the minimum?

Did I say I blamed the C/C for the cleaners? Of course, if I can spot it while in the cabin area during the turnround, why can't they? When it is reported to airline management, not as a complaint about the C/C, but about the cleaning contractor, should they file it in the bin, as happened?

Suggesting the C/C do nothing meant that they do nothing other than what they are forced to do now on that particular subject. As I said, the long term solution is better design and more money spent in this area.

I'm plenty familiar with line ops, thank you.