PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on liquid limit to be scrapped?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 16:46
Inspecthergadget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The issue of liquids in hand luggage is and has always been an emotive issue and one that i find hard to imagine as being a good reason for limiting what amounts of liquid can be carried in hand luggage.

I read somewhere that it takes only a small amount of liquid high explosive to do serious damage to any structure whether on the ground or in the air. I question whether the current restrictions are restrictive enough and i also question whether the technology being put into place is enough to spot what the authorities are looking for.

But maybe the whole thing was a huge experiment and part of a conspiracy between the government and the airport authorities. Remember that this rule began in Britain where the likes of the BAA lost revenue due to airside shops not making as much money as they did when duty free sales were in abundance. Not only have the airports benefited from the experiment but so have the airlines with sales of goods otherwise purchased on the high street. It's somehow strange that in times of an economic slump that a solution has been found and with it the possible demise of the liquids in hand baggage rule.