PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avalon Airshow
Thread: Avalon Airshow
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 10:51
cogwheel

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the 'Airshow Exhibition Regulations' the 'Principal Ringmaster' (presumably the announcer) was a bloke named Paul Devine.
The "Ringmaster" was not the announcer.

PD is a former RAAF MIR pilot and experienced Ringmaster. (This position is the the CASA delegate for the flying display/airshow approval)

There is much more to the Avalon Airshow than just the flying displays, which due to our location on the Earth rely on participation from other countries. The world economic situation at the moment effected this year somewhat and there were some cancellations in the weeks leading up to the show. Nevertheless it was good to see the B1 and the Super Hornet. I think the 4 RAAF F/A18s do a good routine and the 'Bou and the Pig are always stars!

The value of the trade days to those that want to make the investment is significant and the flow on to the aerospace industry is significant even if not obvious to the average punter.

Those that are critical of the flying display need to realise that it is very difficult to put on such an event and coordinate displays and attendance from other parts of the globe. If you are so interested, why dont you put up your hand for the next show as a volunteer and you will soon find out the amount of work that goes into trying to please fussy punters.

As an airshow junkie from way back, I think they did a good job considering the tough times at the moment. Sure there could have been more acts and other flying entertainment, but that is always the case. Fact is if you are so critical, don't come next time. I'm sure you wont be missed...! Save up and go to OSH or one of the UK shows if you want something different.