PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 10:13
grizzled

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts
Additives (again)

Several of us discussed this matter waaay back. I brought up some issues -- as did airfoilmod and several others -- related to FSII. As was mentioned a few posts previously, these additives work by attracting water molecules to attach themselves to the additive molecules. It may well be that the properties of the resultant "stuff" are just not well known in long lasting low temp conditions.

Excerpt from a post from last June (18th):

“I am certainly no subject matter expert when it comes to fuels and fuel properties but several previous incidents (and a couple of accidents) keep worming their way into my thoughts when I think of this occurrence. The cases I’m talking about have this in common: Unpredicted or unexpected changes to the behaviour, consistency, lubricity, viscosity or dispersal characteristics of fuel – caused by FSII. (Contrary to what some have written FSII is not one specific chemical formulation but can be one of several compositions, including dipropylene glycol, glycerol formal, and DiEGME.) As many of you know, the amount (if any) of FSII in the fuel loaded in China could fall into a fairly wide spectrum and still be within specs. In serving this ball into the PPRuNe court, I expect (and would appreciate) comments and critique on the possibility of FSII being a factor.”

Grizz