Old 16th Mar 2009, 09:53
lawrence hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mles monoplane landing at Heston Airport

Since 1951 when I first became interested in aviation, I have seen a total of
9 aircraft using
HestonAirport
since the official closure in 1947. Although
it appears likely that the movements records for this airfield have not survived, at least I can account for the following aircraft in addition to the Miles Hawk Trainer on these pages.

In cronological date order, these were:

09 June 1951- 5 aircraft from the Airways Aero Association, Denham for the BOAC Sports Festival (see separate pages) G-ACIT DH Dragon, Auster Aiglet,
reg. unknown, G-ALOX DH Tiger Moth and 2 Miles Hawk Trainers, including G-AKKV (see:
www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1018874)

ca. 1952/53 Swiss Messerschmidt ME108 Taifun, HB-DUB (a fast ship !)

ca. 1953/54 red/silver Miles Gemini, reg unidentified, taking off over Cranford end (possibly after having Fairey Metal propellors fitted)

1955/56 Miles Hawk Trainer, believed to be G-ADWT

May/59 Westland Widgeon, G-ANLW which collected 3 MTCA officials at Heston enroute from Yeovil to the new Battersea Heliport in order to make the first landing there prior to its official opening.
04/03/63 Bristol 171 G-AMWH British European Airways
Sept 1964 Augusta Bell Ranger helicopter, G-ASNV (see
www.ab-pic.co.uk/photo/11115128/

Other helicopters may well have included the Fairey Gyrodyne and possibly the Rotordyne since the Company had their premises here and at Hayes.

My final report is taken from Tim Sherwood's excellent book "Coming Into Land" which details the history of
Heston, Hanworth, Hounslow and the original Heathrow (Great Western) airfields and is purchaseable from Hounslow Library.
This mentions the departure of a Board of Trade helicopter from
HestonAirport to Sevenoaks on the 06 June 1978 after the CAA had vacated their offices there.