PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - silly CPL or IR exam mistakes
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 09:22
INNflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aaaah my IR checkride!!!

Flew a preperation hop of about 1,5hrs with my instructor about 2hrs before the flight test to be comfortable, everything went well, we didn't refuel (done in a Piper twin, so no need to), started my IR checkride, first a no-gyro NDB approach, flying the published missed into the holding, then a simple ILS approach at another field followed by a single engine VOR DME arc.

Everything goes reasonably well, we land at said last airport and taxi off the runway for backtaxiing to the holding point, so the examiner says something along the lines of "as long as we don't crash on the flight back to our airport you passed, but do we have enough fuel remaining for the (mere 15min) flight back?"

Being relieved I made it I just mindlessly said "ah yea yea I think so, my instructor said it's gonna be fine" without doing the math myself

That didn't fail me, but he gave me a pretty good lecture along the lines that my instructor isn't there when I run out of fuel and crash land somewhere, so I better do the f*+%# calculations myself

Lesson learnt